If you have an American Express Platinum or a Citi Preferred card, don’t forget to spend your yearly airline bonus.
As part of your card benefits you’re entitled to an annual airline credit, which is a great way to offset the expensive annual membership. So if you received your card in 2015, you could spend ($200-$250 depending on card) before the end of 2015 and then again in 2016. A $400 – $500 benefit (depending on card).
American Express Platinum: $200 on a selected airline
- This benefit can be used on the following: baggage fees, change fees, and in-flight purchases.
- We have had success buying gift cards with this benefit in the past but Amex has recently been revoking such redemptions. Although we have heard of some recent success buying gift cards through the airline, we suggest focusing on items you are sure to get credited for.
Citi Prestige: $250 on any airline
- The Citi Prestige air travel credit has far less restriction on spending. As long as the charge is processed by the airline itself, it should be covered.
- Important: The charge must take place in a 2015 statement in order for the amount to be to be counted against 2015.
- If you make your purchase on the 10th of December and your statement date is 11th of December, the amount will be counted against 2015.
- If you make your purchase on the 12th of December and your statement date is 11th of December, the amount will not be counted against 2015, instead against 2016.