There are quite a few changes coming to the Americans Airlines AAdvantage program on March 22, 2016. In this article, we’re going to focus on the American Airlines AAdvantage award chart.
- American has added a short haul reward (less than 500 miles).
- Redemptions in the Main Cabin and Business/First will be 40% less.
- US domestic flight conversions remain unchanged.
- Flights to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America will be 14%-17% lower (in two cabin aircraft).
- In a three cabin aircraft, First Class seats cost 41% additional miles on average than in 2015.
- Trips to Canada and Alaska are 20%-69% higher.
- Journeys to South America(1) are 14%-38% more.
- Asia and South Pacific premium cabin redemptions have increased by 20%-63%.
We strongly suggest that anyone planning on booking a premium class seat to do so before the March 22 cutoff. It will save you thousands of points.
Full detail of the changes to the AAdvantage Award Chats may be found below. Please keep in mind that all charts are listed as one way trips.
American Airlines Main Cabin 2016 Award Chart Changes
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states||12,500||12,500||0||0%|
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states & Canada (≤ 500 miles)||12,500||7,500||-5,000||-40%|
|Canada & Alaska||12,500||15,000||2,500||20%|
|South America Region 1||17,500||20,000||2,500||14%|
|South America Region 2||30,000||30,000||0||0%|
|Asia Region 1||32,500||35,000||2,500||8%|
|Asia Region 2||35,000||35,000||0||0%|
American Airlines Business/First 2016 Award Chart Changes
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states||25,000||25,000||0||0%|
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states & Canada (≤ 500 miles)||25,000||15,000||-10,000||-40%|
|Canada & Alaska||25,000||30,000||5,000||20%|
|South America Region 1||30,000||30,000||0||0%|
|South America Region 2||50,000||57,500||7,500||15%|
|Asia Region 1||50,000||60,000||10,000||20%|
|Asia Region 2||55,000||70,000||15,000||27%|
American Airlines First Class 2016 Award Chart Changes
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states||32,500||50,000||17,500||54%|
|Canada & Alaska||32,500||55,000||22,500||69%|
|South America Region 1||40,000||55,000||15,000||38%|
|South America Region 2||62,500||85,000||22,500||36%|
|Asia Region 1||62,500||80,000||17,500||28%|
|Asia Region 2||67,500||110,000||42,500||63%|
Although the domestic awards have improved somewhat, it is disappointing to see such strong devaluation of point conversions to first class. Although the move is not surprising given the trend in the industry, American is clearly pushing its AAdvantage members to book main cabin seats.
There are numerous other changes to the AAdvantage program that we will be evaluating in a future article. Check back soon for details.