The Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus and Premier cards are both offered for a limited time with a 60,000 sign up bonus (better than last years 50,000 point promo). What makes this offer so great is the ability to get both cards and gain 120k points and the Southwest Companion Pass.
What is Companion Pass and why should you want it?
The Companion Pass allows for the member to buy one ticket (with points or cash) and get one free ticket on all Southwest flights for the remainder of the year and for the full calendar year after. For example, if you were to get the status as of August 2017, you would be able to get a free companion ticket for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018. This more or less doubles your points (as you are saving cash/points when using the free companion option)! It is important to note that while you may only have one companion at a time, you can change the individual three times per calendar year.
How to get to obtain 100k Southwest Rapid Rewards points and the Companion Pass
- Apply for Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card (w/ 60k signup bonus).
- Link to offer: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPlusNonAEP/
- On the same day apply for Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card (w/ 60k signup bonus)
- Link to offer: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPremierNonAEP/
- Meet the minimum spending requirement on each card within the first three months, which is $2,000 per card ($4,00o total).
- Unlike last years offer, no additional spending is required to meet the 110,000 required to obtain companion pass eligibility, as 120,000 of bonus points are earned after meeting the minimum spending requirement. A huge perk if you’re looking to take advantage of this offer solely for the companion pass. Keep in mind, all points must be earned within the same calendar year to achieve companion pass status
One important aspect of this card is the bonus date (the date at which the 60k points per card are posted), which takes place 90 days after your application is posted. Therefore this is the earliest possible date you can earn the Companion Pass. It is also important to know your statement date, as earned points via spending will post after this date. Be sure to keep both these dates in mind if you are attempting to leverage this strategy late in the year.
Once companion pass status is achieved, you will have 124k+ points at your disposal and a free seat for favorite travel partner!
- 2 points for every $1 you spend on Southwest Airlines.
- 2 points per $1 you spend on Southwest Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases.
- 1 point for all other purchases.
- Premier cardholders receive 6,000 bonus points after anniversary.
- Plus cardholders receive 3,000 bonus points after anniversary.
For more information on the Southwest companion pass, visit: https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/tiers-more-companion-pass