Keep an eye out… Barclays American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red MasterCard regularly sends out targeted offers via email to existing cardholders offering 15k bonus points for $500 spending over three consecutive designated months. Typically this offer is sent via email around the card anniversary.
Despite the American Airlines devaluation (Read More Here), this is a pretty solid offer. Post devaluation we value AAdvantage miles at 1.6c, which makes this promotion worth $240. Well worth keeping the card for an additional year (especially since I was able to have the annual fee waived for one year). If you are making a determination to keep this card vs a new card, it is probably best that you weigh the perks and bonuses available.
Perks of the Barclays American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator card:
- 2 miles for every $1 you spend when you use your card on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1 mile for every $1 you spend on every other purchase
- Get 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles, each calendar year.
- Get a 7,500 mile discount when you use your miles to book a MileSAAver award.
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend $30,000 or more in Purchases on your Account during your card membership year and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary date.
- Free checked bag
- First eligible checked bag is free of charge for you and up to 4 traveling companions on your reservation, when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines.
- Boarding privileges
- You and up to four people traveling with you can board with Group 1 on domestic American Airlines flights.
- 25% off in-flight purchases
- Save 25% on in-flight food, beverages and headset purchases on American Airlines operated flights.
- No foreign transaction fees